Tuesday 28 August 2012

Homemade Tomato Soup

Wow I actually can't believe my last post was in January, that's 7 months ago quite shocking but this year has flown exceptionally fast, 5 weddings down, the Queens Jubilee, Olympics, my little sister has moved to New York, Karen about to introduce the lil Le Cornu into our world and summers nearly over! Busy busy and that doesn't mean I haven't had time to cook, I have but I've been far too lazy and just not had the chance to share!

What's made me post today is Mirek, he's had two teeth removed and has been told by the nurse to avoid, rice, pasta and anything solid! Oh gawd initially that made me quite sad, but then I realised  that suits me just fine for two reasons..1) soup only dinner diet for a few days is surely going to help me lose a few pounds for my beach holiday in October...2) soup = autumn/winter and I LOVE this season and what with conkers already starting to line The Avenue this makes me happy!

Never made soup before so am going to post two recipes today, firstly delicious homemade tomato soup.

Crucials
Approx 12 reasonably sized tomatoes (home grown ones are the best as they're much juicier but i used a mix of both
One carrot
Three celery sticks
One large onion
Two cloves of garlic
Handful of fresh basil
Salt & Pepper
Pint and half of chicken stock
Glug of oil
Glug of Lea Perrins Worcestershire sauce

Prep 

  • Boil some water in a kettle and fill a large mixing bowl
  • Place all the tomatoes into the bowl for 5 mins
  • Chop the onions finely and the carrot and celery stick into small pieces
  • Fry the oil, onions, garlic, carrot and celery sticks in a large stock pot and cover for about twenty mins until soft
  • Peel the tomato skins off the tomatoes, should come off quite easily if not place them back in the hot water
  • Chop the tomatoes into small pieces and add to the pot
  • Chop the basil and add to the pot
  • Simmer for approx 15 mins
  • Add the chicken stock and season with salt and pepper, simmer for approx 20 mins
Blend
  • Add the contents of the pot into a blender slowly bit by bit with a ladle and blend until it's pureed
  • Place back into the stock pot and add a glug of lea perrins
  • Simmer for approx 20mins and season to taste
  • Serve with crusty bread and butter






No comments:

Post a Comment